Larson-Juhl's Journey to Sustainability
Larson-Juhl is excited to launch its Journey to Sustainability plan, which maps out the company's short-term and long-term goals.
This plan consists of "Key Goals," which are goals to reach within our North American business in the next three to five years; a listing of "key business initiatives" that need to be met throughout the life of the plan, "short term goals" which can be completed in a relatively short amount of time; and "longer term goals" which, once fully recognized, will put Larson-Juhl on its way to Sustainability.
Read below for a full breakdown of what Larson-Juhl team members are and will be doing to reach the goals set out on the Journey to Sustainability...
- goals for the next three to five years:
Key Business Initiatives
- Implement reforestation plan with measurable goals in 3 year and 5 year increments
- Determine carbon footprint and establish long-term reduction goals
- Reduce water/energy usage and set long-term goals
- Reduce packaging materials used and set long-term goals
- Develop a sustainability model for Larson-Juhl delivery
- items that will be achieved along the way to reaching full sustainability:
Short Term Goals
- Evaluate customer self-serve option
- Investigate electronic distribution of invoices and statements (Credit)
- Move Human Resources / Operations toward paperless
- Develop long-term plan for human capital
- Establish health and safety training for new Team Member orientation process
- Develop training / succession/ knowledge continuity
- Develop a wellness program for team members
- Implement a long-term internal communication plan
- department and location specific goals to be met in a relatively short period of time:
Longer Term Goals
- Develop "forest friendly" messages for all business communications, to reach a broader audience with a consistent message.
- Human Resources
- Poll Team Members to learn of any individual "green" ideas and what they may be able to do to be more Earth-friendly.
- Conduct a baseline audit for energy/waste/water usage at every Larson-Juhl North American facility.
- Determine plans for local reduction and recycling opportunities and local resource availability.
- Community Service Team
- Restructure how donations of time and money are awarded to needy charities.
- Develop corporate giving policies at the local level.
- Award a Larson "Jewel" of the Year to an outstanding Team Member in the area of Community
- Corporate Support Center
- Develop energy/waste/water reduction plans at every level of the business.
- Educate Team Members on how they can reduce their footprint on the Earth as individuals.
- reaching these big-picture goals will put Larson-Juhl firmly in the road to Sustainability:
- Create a way for Team Members to be responsible for their own energy and paper usage.
- Develop a Team Member sustainability award.
- Design a plan to become carbon neutral.
- Create a plan to move towards Larson-Juhl paperless.
- Develop sustainable model for supply-chain and third-party delivery/transportation
- Replace toilets as necessary with low-flow as needed.
- Replace hot water heaters with tankless models when necessary.
- Develop a Manufacturing sustainability plan.
- Plant as many trees as we consume in our moulding production.